Motorcycle accidents occur every single day on the roadways of Texas result in devastating injuries and even death. In an instant, your life can change because of another person’s negligence.
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, Motorcyclist deaths occur 27 times more frequently than fatalities in other motor vehicles.
While it’s the job of motorcyclists to be alert and visible, it is the job of all motorists to be aware of their surroundings and watch for motorcyclists. Everyone must take part in ensuring safety for motorcycles out on the road by driving defensively and by staying alert.
CAUSES OF MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
More often than not, it is the negligence of another driver that leads to a motorcycle accident. Although motorcyclists can be responsible for accidents and are sometimes involved in single-vehicle accidents. The most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Not seeing a motorcyclist;
- Not properly reacting to a motorcycle;
- Cutting off a motorcycle;
- Failing to yield;
- Failing to leave enough space between vehicles and a motorcycle;
- Distracted driving or not paying attention to other motorists; and
- Driving under the influence.
GET MOTORCYCLE CRASH HELP FAST
Because motorcycle accidents often require more investigative actions than a four wheel vehicle accident, it is imperative that you contact an attorney as soon as possible after a crash so that he or she can begin collecting evidence and information to support your claim for compensation.
The investigation process will consist of the following:
- Gather evidence to provide insight into the events that led to the accident and determine who was responsible. This could be in the form of police reports, surveillance video from traffic cameras, photographs of the accident scene or accident reports from insurance investigators. Any piece of evidence we are able to collect will provide us with a better understanding of the accident that could be used in your favor.
- Interview witnesses who were present during the accident to provide a first-hand account of the events. These testimonies could be beneficial when building your case which may have to go to court, if necessary.
- Review your medical records from after the accident to prove your injury was the direct result of the accident.
- Consult with professionals who can recreate that collision and review your injuries. Accident reconstructions can provide a model of what happened during the accident, which can be important to prove the at-fault party’s negligence. Healthcare practitioners can provide a medical perspective on your injuries from the accident.
- Personally handle all insurance matters on your behalf. We will either negotiate and fight for your right to receive the compensation you deserve after the accident so that you can focus on recovering.
SHARING THE ROAD WITH MOTORCYCLES 101
The Department of Transportation’s Share the Road campaign encourages safe riding practices and cooperation from vehicle drivers of all types. The tips can help reduce motorcycle injuries and fatalities:
- Always check your blind spots;
- Stay in your lane. Weaving back and forth between traffic increases your chances of being involved in an accident;
- Take extra caution when pulling out before motorcyclists. Motorcycles may be closer than they appear – because of their size, your eyes might trick you. If you see a motorcycle heading down the road at a high speed, wait for them to pass before pulling out;
- Take extra caution when passing;
- Give extra room when driving behind a motorcyclist. Motorcyclists will react more quickly than other vehicles because they are so much smaller. Rear ending a motorcyclist could cost them their life;
- Increase your following distance at night;
- Communicate with motorcyclists and other drivers;
- Intersections can be deadly. Intersections can leave dangerous blind spots. Always look both ways before entering an intersection.
Victims of motorcycle accidents will likely need legal representation to ensure that their medical needs and interests are maintained as a priority. As a dedicated and compassionate firm, the Caquias Law Group, PLLC is committed to serving the best interests of our clients and helping them receive the compensation they deserve.
Call today to schedule your free motorcycle crash consultation.